Labor Day

John timing my contractions...we were on "Lap 40" at this point, almost 3 hours into his timing.

I am kind of thinking of today as my Labor Day in the very literal sense that one year ago today I spent about 20 of the 24 hours of March 1 in labor as Sage worked to get her way out into the world. It’s one of those days where I have looked at the clock periodically and thought, “at this time last year _______.” Although it’s not the day she was born it was really the beginning and I almost think of the 1st and the 2nd of March as one day in regard to Sage’s birth.

I recently finished writing out the birth story–which was more than six pages–and also included a Cliffs Notes version. Below is a Cliffs Notes of the Cliffs Notes.

Cliffs Notes
– Very first contraction was felt after a very close and intense GFU women’s basketball game at Lewis & Clark (Saturday, February 26).
– Continued feeling contractions periodically over the next couple of days, but carried on with normal life.
–  Real contractions started early Tuesday morning, March 2.
– Called our midwife, Desireé, around 8am and she said to let her know when contractions got to be consistently 4 minutes apart.
– Spent the day resting as much as we could.
-The consistent 4 min contractions never exactly happened, so when Desireé came to check things out about 4:30pm, we were all surprised that I was in over halfway dilated.
– The birth team was called and we got down to the business of having a baby.
– Long night and slow progress from there.
– I was nearly fully dilated in the early hours of the morning but my water hadn’t broken. After moving around and changing positions yet again it finally broke and we were able to move into pushing.
– Pushed for about 1 ½ hours and our baby was born just before 8am on Wednesday morning, March 2.
– Sage Charlotte-Rose Macy weighed 7 lbs, 13 oz, and was 21 inches long.
– Birth attendants included Desireé LeFave, Carmen Cosby, Karla Williams, and Angie Chisholm. Aunt Linsey Macy was also there through the night and morning taking photos.

This entry was posted in Family, our girl. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s